5. If you havent guessed by now, the Rava is extremely easy to use. Installing on a plane js really easy: run the seatbelt through the forward facing belt path (behind the childs back), buckle and pull the tail to tighten! There are two very visible notices included with the packaging stating as much; one in the rear facing belt path and one with the manual, which is an awesome way to get that info parents and caregivers! If there is a concern with recline when the RAVA is at its most reclined setting, parents can try to move the seat to another position in the car, and failing that, wed suggest that caregivers discuss the installationwith a CPST or directly with Nuna. But I have double confirmed that you are indeed allowed to install the base. Group Black's collective includes Essence, The Shade Room and Naturally Curly. car seats that are known to be good for flying, 10 Things You Need To Know Before Flying With A Car Seat, Whats the lightest infant car seat? Specifically Im looking at purchasing a Cosco Scenera for my 2 year old, which you point out requires a top tether in cars how does this work on a plane? The leg extension panel is also quite easy to pull in and tuck away, as are the side impact cushions also flip in and out without any problem. Many car seats in other countries cant be secured on planes. This extension panel offers up to 2 of extra support for rear facing riders, and is usable for forward facing children as well. With lower anchors, you must go through all the first steps youd go through for a seatbelt installation because the lower anchors are stored under the rear-facing True Tension Door (which means you may as well just use the seatbelt). You should be able to measure it and see if it will fit, but a really big seat might not fit in plans seat let alone thru security. In fairness, these arent necessarily problems but we list them here to address RAVA-specific issues. RAVA RAVA Removing Fabric To Clean It & Replacing The Fabric. Nuna and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend children ride rear facing until they are at least 2 years old. Because the strap doesnt have a split attachment, there is no way to remove it and replace with something harder to open. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. I dont know how else to describe it other than how I did in the header for this post: The Rava really is the carseat equivalent of a fine Italian suit. We have an extensive travel archive here at CSFTL! Was it easy to get it in the seat forward facing? The fit for newborns isnt great. She gets a great fit with the newborn wedge. Also, youll need to flip up the integrated cupholders to access the rear-facing beltpath. Has anybody ever brought the nuna rava car seat on a plane with them? And thus, though the True Tension doors do a remarkable job of making the seatbelt installation easy and secure, you must switch the retractor to locking mode before closing the door. The cupholders attach to the top of the rear facing belt path. The seat has modern styling and sleek lines along with some unique ease of use and safety features. 3. How far does the headrests stick forward from the back of the car seat? Most babies will fit by 4 months old. We encourage you to keep your child rear facing in RAVA as long as the child fits and is within the maximum rear facing requirements for both height and weight. Plus, the Rava has 2 fold-out cup-holders, padded head support wings, and even a fold-out "thigh support" for comfort (sweet! She said she didnt know but it passed the US. and our If your car seat can only be installed with ISOFIX and the airplane just has seatbelts, youre out of luck. Labels mayseem seem trivial, but so much information is listed on the labels adorning the sides of your car seat. Cons. Do you think the Rava will last us as long (or close to it) rear-facing as the Graco? I love helping parents travel more, better and easier and thats what this whole website is about. Then, you thread the lower anchors through the rear-facing beltpath, remove all the slack and close the true tension door. Good luck youll be fine! By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. I was able to fly in economy comfort with this car seat rear facing. Always uninstall the RAVA to change the recline position, and then reinstall it. My Nuna Lite is less than a year old and has some snags on the corners but the Rava has been in constant use in our car since this review was published and the fabric is in pristine condition. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. knit fabric create a comfy climate for even the longest of trips. Did you fly delta? I recommend aiming for a narrow, lightweight car seat to increase the chances that it actually fits in the seat; weve never had an issue per se, but did come awfully close a few times and thats with car seats that are known to be good for flying. Theres some murkiness about whether or not youll be able to use them in fancier classes (like Polaris) of service as they begin to integrate lap-shoulder belts, but thus far airlines have said no. Any suggestions? You need to select your recline setting, loosen the harness, raise the headrest, unsnap the fabric and expose the Forward Facing True Tension Door (everything for forward-facing is color-coded in red, there are installation directions on that door). I had my first experiences with the Nuna Rava years ago when it was just a prototype. Very good crash test results, easy to install, high quality and comfy. Their concern is that there may come a belt that is too thin to be fully locked off within the True Tension Door and they didnt want this to compromise safety for any family. Some only permit car seats up to a certain age. Open the door, thread the belt through the path, lock the belt, shut the door. All opinions at CarseatBlog are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Push the grey piece and slide it to move the buckle from one position to the other. Thanks! I pointed out we dont have one It left me less than confident in her answer that it passed EU testing. They did this with their simply secure installation using true tension doors- one for rear-facing and one for forward-facing. Such a hassle, and then the next time we were in the car, another accident! The RAVA can be incredibly compact in rear facing mode. There are corresponding spots on the headrest cover for them to go into. Hello! Here is a quick video showing some of the features and how theyre used: While the True Tension Doors closely resemble other tensioning seatbelt lockoffs, unlike those other tensioners, they are NOT lock-offs. However, I do think that adding canopy will outweigh the CON. Sometimes itll be a label with tons of text, while other times it will have a picture of an airplane on it. The RAVAs base may make a newborn recline on sloped vehicle seats a challenge. Just flip them up so theyre out of the way while youre installing the car seat. There are numerous reasons why, but the net result is that plenty of non-US seats are just way too big to fit in skimpy American airplane seats. Theres a lot of confusion out there in social media land about airline approved car seats. Some overzealous flight crew members may look at the second part of the red statement and ignore the first. My 2.5 year old is just under 40 pounds and in the 99th percentile for height. Directions are listed right on the buckle as well as in the manual. In order to move the lower anchors to forward facing mode, open both True Tension doors and move the strap up from the rear facing belt path to the forward facing belt path. Nuna RAVA cupholders blocking the rear facing belt path. Nuna Pipa Lite (and Lite R) These infant car seats are not approved for use on airplanes alone because they dont have any way to be installed without the base. These labels include everything from installation informationand methods, to seat height and weight limits, and more! We dont recommend buying a used carseat because you dont know the history of the carseat; you dont know if its been in a crash or handled in a way the manufacturer doesnt approve of, if the straps have been washed in the washing machine, etc. Fully reclined in the captains chair of my van, there was a bit of a gap behind the seat. 4. The cupholders areflexible and flip inside out for cleaning. The top harness slots are extremely low, similar to an infant car seat. For easy storage, the manual slips into a compartment on the back of the seat, an easily identifiable manual icon right on the seat. Forward-facing lower anchor installation is just like rear-facing: Get them out of the rear-facing true tension door by following the same steps to open up the seat cushion, route the lower anchor strap through the forward-facing belt path, remove the slack, close the door, hook the top tether and remove slack. Fill out the product information card and mail it back to Nuna, while youre thinking about it. Id suggest that you look through these alternative travel car seats for 2 year olds. At some airlines (especially outside of the US) you may be asked to show the sticker at the check in desk, before you even get to security. Reveal, open, buckle, pull tight and lock, then close. We are taking a trip this weekend and was wondering if it fits on the plane. Don't want to check the seat and have damage done to it. It really is unbelievably easy, and I cannot overstate how simple it is. Should You Bring Your Childs Car Seat on an Airplane? Im not sure you even could get it installed on a plane if you tried, but its not allowed. Simply open the compartment, route the belt through, buckle and lock the belt, then close the door. How did it go with the Nuna Rava on the plane and through security? with lower anchor belt: 5-35lbs., 49 in or less, suggested usage up to at least 2 years of age
  • forward facing convertible | with seat belt: 25-65 lbs. It is removable for easy washing, with step by step instructions for removal and care found in the back of the manual. Wouldnt the 2 of extension be blocked by the back of the backseat? A hefty insert with wedge for newborns really helps smaller babies get a better fit. Push the button on the base, and glide the seat itself through one of the five rear facing or five forward facing settings before installing. In most cases, if you face any challenges with installation, you should get assistance from one of the airline staff. Returning the registration card is important because the manufacturer of the seat will have your information on file in the event of a safety notice or recall. Yes. Hi Nick. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Installing the RAVA is as simple as moving the padding to reveal the True Tension door, opening it, routing the belt through the path, buckling, tightening and locking the belt, and then closing the door. It helps that, unlike an infant carrier, it stays in one place so it hasnt been bumped up against stucco walls (I wanted to cry after I did that) or other things that damage the fabric, but the fabric and soft goods are definitely thicker on the Rava, so you shouldnt encounter the same issue. To release the tether anchor from the seats storage spot more easily, Nuna recommends reclining the seat and then attempting to loosen the tether anchor strap. ANY recommendations/advice Hi! I brought it on an airplane earlier this month and it fit beautifully forward-facing, but I made the foolish mistake of not stowing the thigh support panel and could not get it rear-facing. If your bases sticker says otherwise, contact Nuna to get a new one. Travel Happy. Update: Thanks to my astute reader Hannah who shared that the current Nuna Pipa Lite base is FAA-approved. I love everything about the Rava except that shorter harness height and am worried my inexplicably tall baby boy (~31 at 13 months, which is the 79th percentile) will outgrow it before Id like to transition him to a booster (around 6). I have seen the arrow car seats for as low as $36 on amazon, That thing off amazon may work! The thing I posted in the picture is amazing and pretty much acts as a stroller. Hi there! 2. I didnt find that necessary, but someone with an actual newborn may. Be prepared, be confident, and know your rights. So how does this work for the typical parent? Good luck you'll be fine! The cupholders just pull out and push in. Adjusting the recline takes very little effort. I flew southwest. Every baby will fit differently, but most newborns will probably need a different seat for the first few weeks of life, even with the sizable infant insert. (The cupholders can be flipped back down once the seat is installed.). If youre shopping for an airline-approved car seat, youll want to look at these options depending on the age of your child: Before you head to the airport with your FAA-approved car seat, be sure you know where your airline approval sticker is and what it means. There are no complicated levers or feet to deal with: Just push and go. Forward-facing seatbelt and lower anchor installation will sound very familiar because they are essentially identical to the rear-facing installation steps. There are so many things to like about the Nuna RAVA, its hard to pick out just one or two. Nuna RAVA rear facing vehicle seat belt install. May 23, 2021 . He weighs 39 pounds and is 43 inches tall. The Nuna RAVA has five recline positions for rear facing, and a clear level window on the side of the seat. Create an account or log in to participate. I agree it is very nice but mentioned the lack of rebound control. Some people use a seatbelt extender and align it so both buckles are outside of the seatback. Learn how your comment data is processed. Hope this helps! The lower anchor limit is a child-weight of 35 lbs for rear-facing and 40 lbs for forward-facing. A Group Owner is a member that has initiated the creation of a group to connect with other members to share their journey through the same pregnancy & baby stages. Ill update right away. I did get it back on all the way and youd never know it had ever been removed. Huggable Images dolls are a great option for CPSTs and other educators. As the headrest is raised, the harness will have more length to it. There is a head cushion insert with sturdy plastic arms on the backto help it stay in place. The lower anchors may be used to a child weight of 35 pounds in rear-facing mode. You need to understand that the seat belt in a forward-facing guide runs through this slot, comes through underneath the tension door, and you seatbelt it as if you would seatbelt yourself. It's a FAA approved seat for flying. It is convincing me to get a second one for our 3 mo old. As part of our commitment to mindful manufacturing, many Nuna products meet the standards for GREENGUARD GOLD certification. In this article Ill explain which car seats you can and cant use on an airplane, how to prove you have an FAA-approved car seat and more. In the manual, Nuna suggests that parents and caregivers may find that removing some of the harness pads can help to improve fit. The harness tightens and adjusts smoothly and easily at even the lowest settings in rear-facing mode. With the legroom panel stowed and with the seat in the most upright rear-facing position, it is a contender as one of the most compact rear-facing seats from front-to-back. Note that once you confirm, this action cannot be undone. Make sure that the lower anchor connectors are securely stowed in their compartments just under the rear facing belt path when not in use. I show all the steps necessary to install a Nuna RAVA convertible carseat rear-facing in a Tesla Model X. We have 2yr old twins and are debating driving or flying next weekend but want to make sure we know all the rules and can put the races in their seats. Flying Delta. The height limit and weight limit for rear facing make it a solid option. We strive to provide you with a high quality community experience. Given the risks of traveling with a lap baby and checking a car seat, your best choice is to review an airlines car seat policy before booking your tickets. Do you guys have any tips?! We have this seat and I love it but we have a big problem, which is my (nearly) 2 year old continually disconnects the top chest strap. When we asked Nuna about the use of a crotch roll to improve fit, they said it is not approved. There is a lot of room inside for storing the lower anchors when theyre not being used. We respect everyones right to express their thoughts and opinions as long as they remain respectful of other community members, and meet What to Expects Terms of Use. It is in their manual as well and nothing on airlines in the US prohibits base installations ! You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Can I get maxi cosi convertible car seat canopy for Nuna Rava? We flew 6 hours yesterday from the UK to the Middle East and had our 10 month old in her usual car seat sitting next to us . You can see my lovely model below showing off her combination seat on a flight to Hawaii. Hi All! In addition to the wedge and insert, the head insert is very supportive and stays in place nicely since there are holes in the cover of the headrest to keep it from moving around. A fellow CarseatBlog writer might have fallen into that trapso just lock the belt before you close the door.). My very petite 2-year-old (23 pounds, 32.5 inches) also fits easily in the seat rear-facing, though I did notice that at the most upright recline setting, he had limited legroom, which was easily fixed by extending the panel, giving him several extra inches of legroom. Pros. Date of Manufacture Label: RAVA has a 10 year expiration; this information is found in the manual on page 3 and it is also on the seat itself. Nuna now has the Lite RX which can be installed with base or seatbelt. RAVAs seat pad flips up to reveal both True Tension doors, so one neednt wrestle the belt though a small belt path. Im Melissa, a real-life mom of two, world traveler and Child Passenger Safety Technician (aka car seat tech). Does it fit thru the security check? In the photo below, Ive removed one of the harness covers to show that the harness is definitely properly positioned on our newborn doll. Nuna Rava on a plane Has anyone taken their very large and heavy car seat on a plane for their 1 year old? My smallest human model was my nephew, Asher, who was 7 months at the time I tried him in the Rava. @RLB14. giving you the option to use a convertible seat as your child's first seat if preferred.