@tooz56 Pereira opined on the tuck rule because it was applied on Sunday, when Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel went back to pass and dropped the ball when he was hit by Baltimore's Lardarius Webb. Tom Brady Reveals the Tuck Rule Saved His Starting Job With the New England Patriots: 'Probably the Backup QB Going Into 2002 The referee of that famous game was Walt Coleman, who has stood by that call for years. section: | slug: tom-brady-admits-controversial-tuck-rule-game-play-might-have-been-a-fumble-and-not-an-incomplete-pass | sport: football | route: article_single.us | In Week 17 an incredible three games featured an example of these . Kurt Warner suffered injuries the following season and was eventually released. On the field, referee Mike Carey ruled it a fumble. To make the right call. In it's place, the following was added to the rule book: "If the player loses possession of the ball during an attempt to bring it back toward his body, or if the player loses possession after he has tucked the ball into his body, it is a fumble. The tuck rule, like it or hate it, was correctly called. Before I continue, yes, the Tuck Rule made the difference in that game, for all of you Patriot fans out there. 6-keys: media/spln/nfl/reg/free/stories, By pressing sign up, I confirm that I have read and agree to the. On the play following the incomplete pass the Patsies would pull the same trick by having Brady take a hit on a pump-fake. The rule has been derided, but the call itself, was to the letter of the rule. If a QB stops his throwing motion and starts to protect the ball. Get 1 free month of Audible by clicking the link belowhttp://www.audibletrial.com/JKSCheck out the JKS website https://www.jacksonkruegersports.com/Follow me. helmet to helmet hits/ ridicilous fines/bs suspensions! Let's look at some more examples of Tuck Rule-type plays from last season with a prediction of how they will be called in 2013. lets 1)reinvent the rule book in the playoffs; 2) use the reinvention to OVERTURN the call on the field; 3) reward a qb who got made a fool out of on the play, and; 4) nullify an excellent defensive play. Stay classyAwesome post (especially like you putting god in your postMind you it was a little g since you are probably a church going man). - The Oakland Raiders were playing the New England Patriots, whose quarterback was Tom Brady. I love how people act like the Pats won against the Raiders only because of the tuck rule. By. Plain and simple. The rule not only changed how referees call the game, but it also altered the trajectory of TB12's 4. The Patriots would go on to win the game in overtime on field goals kicked by Adam Vinatieri with a ball implanted with small but powerful magnets designed. Patriots kicker Adam Vinatieri later tied the game with a 45-yard field goal; in overtime, the Patriots defeated the Raiders on another field goal. Many feel it was a controversial play that allowed New England to move on, win their first Super Bowl and set the tone for all that have accomplished since. I have done this and Woodson blitzed off the corner, forced a fumble and greg beikert recovered it winning the game for the Raiders. I'm not sure how it wouldn't be incomplete. The Tom Brady rule states that a defender on the ground who has not been pushed into the quarterback cannot lunge at a quarterback's knee or lower legs. has raised the minimum level of assets under management for new clients to $50 million. To me its simple to fix, the tuck is not a pass to a reciever, and to some extent its not a fumble. Tom Brady finally admits Tuck Rule play 'might have been a fumble'. Two class of HatersOne class that likes challenging Raider fans and pointing out the many trials and tribulations of their team and complete morons. In the waning minutes of the second quarter, Patriots defensive end Anthony Pleasant apparently forced Jets quarterback Vinny Testaverde to fumble the ball, with Patriots defensive end Richard Seymour making a recovery. Duh. Accusing of spying on . Here is the problem, and why the tuck rule is a rule. And even if they got there, the high-powered Rams awaited. Protect the ball and theres nothing to talk about. On the opening drive of the third quarter, he connected with David Patten for gains of 25 and 19 yards as he led the Patriots 62 yards in 12 plays to the Raiders' 5-yard line, where Adam Vinatieri made a 23-yard field goal to make it 73. That set the tone for two more Raiders Super Bowl victories in the following decade. If your loser team was that great why couldnt they stop the drives after the tuck play ? NFL Coach's Challenge At any time before the two-minute warning of each half or overtime period, the head coach of either team can signal a challenge by throwing a red flag onto the field. You can't see the line of scrimmage on the field. Karma as they say, Is. (GIF) : nfl. Brady played in the 2000 Thanksgiving game @ Detroit, so this wasn't his first game. The Patsies got lucky, because otherwise, the game would have ended right there. Think it through a little bit more. The "Tuck Rule" game was one of the most memorable moments in Brady's entire NFL career.. @ Monkeesfan I think that the play 10 years ago should have been a fumble. I have a very simple solution to this absurd rule: When the defender hits the QB, if the ball hits the ground behind the line of scrimmage it's a fumble. When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Brady posted his confession on social media, rekindling a 20-year debate in the NFL. After the officials reviewed the play, it was determined Brady was in a throwing motion and was attempting to "tuck" the ball towards his body, therefore making it an incomplete pass and resulting in the Patriots keeping the ball. In the 4th quarter, Raiders' cornerback Charles Woodson tackled Patriots' quarterback Tom Brady, causing what initially appeared to be a fumble that was recovered by Raiders' linebacker Greg Biekert. I know this play has caused Raider fans and many other fans significant consternation over the years. Brady ended up completing 26 of 39 passes for 238 yards in the second half. Study with Quizlet and memorize flashcards containing terms like "I volunteer!" I gasp. ", 2020 THE SUN, US, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | TERMS OF USE | PRIVACY | YOUR AD CHOICES | SITEMAP, The 'tuck rule' became famous after a New England vs Oakland showdown in 2002, Brady in action during snowy conditions at what became known as the 'Tuck Rule Game'. elyasm, the arm doesnt even have to be moving forward at the time the ball is knocked out to make it an incomplete pass. He then got hit and fumbled. Jan 11, 2011 3:17 PM if it was brady or peyton there never would of been this statement. The fact that so many Raider fans are still this upset tells me that things have evened out for that bad call in 1976. But..the reversal was the correct call at the time, because thats the way the rule was written then, and thats the way the rule still reads today. Yet they did. I was young and didn't watch football at the time. Is, To avoid this problem, you may need to take iron with a small amount of food. "I volunteer as tribute!", "I want the audience to recognise you when you're in the arena," says Cinna dreamily. But now Pereira works for FOX, not the NFL, and he says that the league needs to ditch the tuck rule. At all the Raider knuckleheads: poorpathaters says: I still say he had a personal stake in a Raider victory. Its all very fascinating but a tremendous waste of time. For that matter, neither do most sports writers. "[1] Pereira said the rule came up in games about 12 to 15 times per season and explained that despite its unpopularity, the competition committee had been unable to come up with a better rule. Except for two things. i lilke the rule n think its a good one but wouldnt care to see it removed.. fumbles in general. Dont fix what aint broke. Jan 11, 2011 1:09 PM But on replay, Carey said it was an incomplete pass because of the tuck rule. ", The seven-time Super Bowl champion then backtracked, quote tweeting his video saying, "I said might. Cap SB winning at 4, lifetime? So, either way, Grudens time in Oakland was likely over. I love how people act like the Pats won against the Raiders only because of the tuck rule. Brown fumbled the ball at the end of the return, but Pats linebacker Larry Izzo recovered it with 2:06 left on the clock. Now, riders caught in any unsanctioned position, such as the supertuck or the time trial position, on or after April 1 will be sanctioned up to the point of suspension, according to a February 4 . Secondly, the call on the field was correct no matter how out of the blue it seemed at that time. While they were slightly out of field goal range, Brady dropped back to pass and dropped the ball after being hit by Woodson. One fumble would not have stopped him from working hard on his game and developing as he did. As for the Raiders, who are still salty about the call all these years later, their season would have been extended by about one week. More like the Raiders started getting worn down near the end of the game, couldnt stop the Patriots offense or convert key third downs when it mattered. So the rule was fine for 10 years but now you see the wrong it it???? Put an asterisk next to it. if 50 guys at the bar think it's a fumble, then it's a fumble. If the Raiders were that great how come they couldnt stop the Pats on one of the following plays ? Before you go spitting your bs about roughing the passer not being called, how about watching the replay again and again and again. Its called a clue. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 11, 2011 12:11 PM. In the closing moments of the fourth quarter and with the Pats trailing by three, Brady received the snap and stepped back into the pocket to pass. Im sure its no consolation to the many Raiders fans around the country.. The current rule reads: Passer Tucks Ball. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. It completely cheated the Raiders out of a title run. It would be the same as saying when a QB is handing off to a RB and the ball comes out, the QB is technically passing the ball to the RB so it should be an incomplete pass, also. That's one of the primary questions posed in ESPN's latest "30 for 30" documentary, simply titled: "The Tuck Rule.". philadelphia parking authority customer service phone number. This is a subreddit for the NFL community. Yes, we have hit the 20-year anniversary of the famous infamous Tuck Rule game. So in your opinion that 2nd down and 10 really sealed the game for the Pats even though it didnt create a score, and the Pats still trailed at that point in the game. And thus a valid call. Keep the rule and let other teams feel the pain and sorrow I still feel from that cold wintry night 10 years ago If he gets hit while attempting to throw a pass then it would be incomplete as long as the ball goes forward. If the Raiders pull out the Tuck Rule game, they are probably losing one of their next two games, and doing so in embarrassing fashion. After the Patriots maintained possession, Brady completed a 13-yard pass to David Patten to the Raiders' 29. Its really more sadness and pity than anything. Had the play been ruled a fumble, the Patriots would have lost . Them I feel sorry for. The game, known as both the Snow Bowl (for that copious and unceasing precipitation) and the Tuck Rule Game (for the enduringly controversial call that ultimately swung the contest toward the. If the Raiders were that great how come they couldnt stop the Pats on one of the following plays ? Fact is, the refs blew that call and then the league tried to justify it by making a made-up interpretation of the rule. Bradys was a fumble. Plain and simple. So what would have changed? QBs dont deserve a free pass. Brady was patting the ball. st mary's academy paducah, ky how many times has the tuck rule been called The 2,957 yards rushing was the fifth-highest total in NFL history at the time. They say time heals everything, but this is still a touchy subject for the Raiders and their fans. The New England Patriots were hosting the then Oakland Raiders in the 2001 AFC Divisional Playoff game. The Tuck Rule had come full circle. Here's the thing. He hit Brady HARD on the helmet and face mask.. That is why his helmet was sideways and also WHY the fumble happened in the first place It should have been roughing the passerPlain and simle.. I dont question whether the rule was correctly applied. And after causing a number of controversies for over a decade more, the rule was finally abolished by NFL chiefs in 2013. Gruden was dismissive of Davis' views on the matter, and the subsequent breakdown in relations between owner and coach led to Gruden being traded to Tampa Bay and becoming their head coach in 2002. The rule makes sense the way it is, changing it would just create ambiguity. . If not, then watch the damn replay again and explain to me how in the hell that is not a fumble. Allen stated that he heard the Patriots' play call. Coleman's announcement stated that the ball was moving forward at the time at which it was dropped. It was 10 years ago. Incomplete pass? Thus, the original call was overturned, and New England maintained possession. [7] The owners abolished the rule with a 291 vote at the 2013 annual meeting in Phoenix on March 20, 2013. Outside of the winner of Super Bowl XXXVI, not much would have changed. My god. whats a td what isnt (calvin johnson, arian foster and someone else) Yeah, this is the problem. I am so sick of hearing about the tuck rule. Simple. The ball should not have to be loose in the act of passing for it to be ruled incomplete. So get over it, Charles Woodson. [17], Up to his retirement at the end of the 2018 season, Coleman officiated 265 more NFL games, including 21 more involving the Patriots, but none involving the Raiders. See my post before yours. The rule, applied to game play, makes absolutely no sense. He did, New England won and Brady went on to forge an NFL dynasty. Knowing what we now know about Belichick, is there any chance he was turning down a first-round pick from the Bills and the opportunity to shed the richest contract in NFL history? That's before and after the LOS so this would mean most passes would be contested on the field. When can I drink milk after taking iron supplements. Raider Nation should have sorrow about what has happend the past 10 years to a once storied franchise then a loss 10 years ago! The Raiders went to the Super Bowl the next year, but were beaten by Gruden's Buccaneers, 4821 and the Raiders did not make the playoffs again until 2016. Watch the replay!He never threw the ball. Buy Raiders Tickets. So enough with your fantasies that the Patriots won that game fair and square, with or without the rule. Pereira opined on the tuck rule because it was applied on Sunday, when Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel went back to pass and dropped the ball when he was hit by Baltimores Lardarius Webb. As it happens, his last game involved the Patriots. Should it be changed?surebut that wont reverse history. Everyone acts like they didnt drive down the field and have Vinatieri kick one of the most difficult field goals in league history, followed by driving down the field in OT to get another score. This season marks the 10th anniversary of the famous "Tuck Rule" game between the New England Patriots and Oakland Raiders. Some members of the plant subfamily Scilloideae are known as hyacinths, but they are not edible and, Copyright 2023 TipsFolder.com | Powered by Astra WordPress Theme. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. The thing that makes no sense is is that the refs had to have been 100% certain that when Brady brought the ball in it did not touch his other hand. Secret Base and Split Zone Duo's Steven Godfrey (@38Godfrey) joined us to talk about the upcoming college football season, which means we . It stated: NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. Because I find it laughable to be told let it go by New England fans. I said might. I would support a rule change, although it took me a long time to get to this point, Pereira said. Brady began a passing motion, but then ceased, before tucking the ball with his left hand. I think everybody probably sees that and says it's a bad rule. And as I said in my earlier post, the Pats lost a game earlier that year against the Jets I believe it was because of the tuck rule being called in their favor. Get over it, pathetic Raiders fans. But it was a rule. Doesnt that now become a fumble because the passer held onto the ball past the predetermined point of a throwing motion? Mike Pereira: Time to create an unneccesary headline and go against everything I have ever said when working in the NFL so Fox can pimp me some more. What has now become known as the "Tuck Rule" game was played on January 19, 2002. The call against the Raiders was not the tuck rule. i cant help but wonder how many patriots fans that have posted here about how right that tuck rule call was would be ticked off if the shoe was on the other foot and the raiders had been the ones to retain possession. Any idea which it actually was? Press J to jump to the feed. This rule caused much controversy and was eventually abolished in 2013. The call was overturned upon review and ruled an incomplete pass, with the tuck rule cited. No choice but to respect the officials probably correct decision. Also, when did the tuck rule go away? period. US AGAINST THE MEDIA In the second half, New England almost completely abandoned its running game and relied on Brady's passing. No choice but to respect the officials probably correct decision. Get over it, pathetic Raiders fans. Brady's Buccaneers went 13-4 this season but were knocked out of the playoffs in the Divisional round by the now Super Bowl-bound Rams. New England had no timeouts left, but with the clock stopped, Brady here had a short conversation with offensive coordinator Charlie Weis. How about this for a rule: you lose the ball it is a fumble. benh999 says: It's a ridiculous idea. Tom Brady just admitted the starting point of his greatness might have been . The latest installment of ESPN's "30 for 30" series, "The Tuck Rule," examines the circumstances that led to the (in)famous incident in the waning stages of a game in the 2001-02 NFL playoffs.. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. No kidding Pereira. 4. In the closing moments of the fourth quarter of the game in a snowy Foxboro Stadium, with New England trailing by three points, New England quarterback Tom Brady dropped back to pass. Is Tom Brady the same great quarterback without that first Super Bowl win? From 1999 to 2013, the National Football League used the tuck rule, which was a contentious rule in American football. Pereira is right there with Walt Coleman in my book. IMO -if the QB is so pressured by the defense that the ball comes loose,if forward motion doesnt carry the ball past the line of scrimmage (or to the feet of an eligible receiver in the backfield) then it should be a fumble. Agree the play alone didnt lose the game for the Raiders, but the emotional swing in the game after that call was reversed was obvious. No such rule ever existed. Yes, keep the rule until each team has experienced it at least once. The name Tuck Rule Game originates from the controversial game-changing play. That has to be the dumbest rule in the book. However, in the fourth quarter, Brady led the Patriots on a 10-play, 67-yard drive, completing nine consecutive passes for 61 yards and finishing it with a 6-yard touchdown run with 7:57 left that made the score 1310. And Ive reached a point where I dont have hate for the Raiders anymore. ", "10 highlights from Jon Gruden's Raiders news conference, including 'Tom Brady fumbled' Reference", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tuck_Rule_Game&oldid=1142353824, Sports competitions in Foxborough, Massachusetts, January 2002 sports events in the United States, 21st century in Foxborough, Massachusetts, All Wikipedia articles written in American English, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 1 March 2023, at 23:18. The Patriots should never had got that first Super Bowl. Does the Patriots dynasty if you can call it that happen? For a decade as the NFLs head of officiating, Mike Pereira was the man who had to come forward publicly and defend the infamous tuck rule and the referees who applied it under controversial circumstances. joesixpack doesnt know what a fumble is either. This solution also solves intentional grounding. He's allowed only two challenges per game, but if both challenges are successful, he's given a third. It's the way it's worded. But its not as if St. Louis would have replaced New England as the NFLs most successful organization. Once the arm has moved forward with ball in hand, it is a pass attempt even after the arm has stopped moving forward (even voluntarily), until the time when the ball is tucked away, which means presumably not just in the QBs hand but protected by an arm. This weekend, ESPN will debut "The Tuck Rule," a "documentary" in the sense that it's a series of real people discussing, dissecting and squabbling over a real historical event the fateful. When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. I would bet my house that the scumbag instructed goose to break gannons arm. [14] Patriots owner Robert Kraft noted that Al Davis was probably looking down from the afterlife and happy that the rule had been abolished. Tom Brady has won 35 postseason games, by far the most in NFL history.