. Mule Deer fanatics will recognize the name J. Lary Barr. But after realizing it was one of the best typicals in all of Idaho, he probably got over it. An incredible number, to be sure, but Ross favorite thing about this deer seems not to be the antlers, but rather the experience of the hunt and those with whom he shared it. Wow, great buck! The current state record is a velvet muley that scored 288 gross and 283 net. Want to know how your buck measures up against one claimed by the old Rough Rider? Zigzagging through the sage once he made his way down, he didnt find rag, but the bleaching bones of a massive muley. Location: Okanagan, British Columbia. The oldest was from North Carolina and was 19 years old. Once the road dissolved, they hired a horse and sleigh to get them south of Chip Lake. The earliest versions of these e-mailed pictures said the deer . With one shot from his .30-06, Urban severed the bucks spine at 175 yards. Did I mention he only had one arm? A mature Missouri buck that showcased some serious head gear that totaled up to a staggering 333 7/8 inches, making it the largest scored whitetail ever. It went well over 200. Check outourstories, videos and hard-hitting how-to'sondeer hunting. The Stories Behind the World's Biggest Mule Deer. Year. With numerous children to his name, the buck did not have a legal owner. Mark Kenyon Those deer, as listed in the B&C record book, include the 284 3/8 inch "Brady Buck" taken in 1892 in McCulloch County by an "unknown hunter" and a 272 inch whitetail that was found dead near Junction . Then again, that was more than a century ago. A hunter with the head of a bear he killed. Idaho's Greatest Mule Deer, 1st Edition. True story. Here are the six world record mule deer by subspecies and all the information you need to know about them. 1 typical Rocky Mountain mule deer were hunted by Max Johnson with a rifle in San Juan County, Utah, in October of 1968. Ive seen deer that you think will make a tremendous leap, but then just fall off and never grow into their potential.. I am sorry if I have a bit of a problem here, but I am not sure if you are able to explain how heavy packs get on the road. Robby Denning grew up in a mule deer hunting family just outside the small town of Iona, Idaho. Through past experience, I knew moose would travel farther and faster than deer, and with only a short time before dark, I decided to carry on with the deer. When Ed died in 1968, he left no will. It also ranks as the second-largest buck from Wyoming, listed only behind the famed Hoback Buck. Date Killed: 1972. Ive also seen them run at about 4 miles an hour. The first product of my efforts was a book titled Idaho's Greatest Mule Deer, a 400-page accounting of most all of the biggest mule deer bucks ever taken in the Gem State. New Mexico record nontypical mule deer, taken by Joseph A. Garcia in Rio Arriba County, 1963. A ranch hand found the antlers and brought them into Jackson where they hung in Mike Meeks Saloon. Navajo Nation in Arizona, during the 2008 hunting season, when he came upon this monster buck. So if you're looking for the specific "world record mule deer," that's a debatable topic. He grabbed his .30-30 from behind the kitchen door (where else would you keep a .30-30?) What was the biggest deer ever killed in history? Sept 15th produced the biggest mule deer of my life with much credit to my good friends Neno and Miriam that packed in our . Luckily, Broder gave a colorful account of his hunt. Dewdney was so impressed with the rack that he shipped it to Vienna, Austria, to be displayed at the International Hunting Exhibition in 1910. Way to go Jerry, congratulations. Don't miss a story! The buck officially scored after the 60-day drying period - 223" gross and 218 2/8" net, making him the biggest . Who can tell, I may yet beat my old 1926 record.. Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. The first day of hunting produced five punched tags, but none for Austill. The SCI No. Not so for this buck, which is reported to have been given as a gift prior to 1892 by an Indian hunter to Sir Edgar Dewdney, then lieutenant governor of British Columbia. What Ever Happened to the Remington ACR Rifle? This buck sports an inside spread of 20 2/8 inches. "On November 25, 1926, I and two friends, driving an old 1914 Model T Ford, left Edmonton for Chip Lake, Alberta," Broder . Number 2Unknown Oldie. While Simons is confident that his buck will top the 16-year-old record, he admitted that the antlers require some interpretive scoring. The palmation makes it difficult to determine where tines originate, and two webbed points off the main beam might not be considered distinct enough. But thats where the fun ends. This buck has it all. Editors note: There are a handful of ties in this ranking, so as you click through the gallery the numbers will skip after a tie. John Hughes . Dons portion went to pay his contempt of court fine. At noon he saw three bucks moving his way. Thats right, this is a public land buck. Mule deer numbers (NDOW annual estimates): FY 2000 - 133,000. A dozen does filed out of a draw in front of them and the big buck followed. Aug 4, 2019. Noticing a trend? You will also automatically be entered into our Monthly giveaway! From what we can gather, the heaviest whitetail ever shot was killed by a bow-hunter, John Annett of Ontario, in 1977. Accordingly. A mill accident took the other one. Sometimes a hunt is over as soon as it beginssuch is the case with this fine buck taken on a ranch near Norwood. 226 4/8. The hunters spooked the buck just in time for Austill to shoot him with an 80-yard shot. Dewdney was so impressed with the rack that he shipped it to Vienna Austria in 1910 as part of a big game exhibition. The antlers had been shellacked. They most often exhibit very typical-like frames. In 1993, the family sold the rack. This is a very solid hunt in my opinion for the meager three or four point spend. Skis are easily the most efficient way to cover snowy ground on foot in winter. But to have the best chance of claiming a trophy buck, youll want every advantage possible. Several months later my phone rang at 1 a.m. Doug, Ed blurted out, I think your buck may be the best typical ever taken. It was, and has been ever since. Location: Okanagan, British Columbia. #1. Neither one of us knew what he was, explained Ross. Clifton Fauria. Required fields are marked *. It was found dead by a firearms deer hunter in . The mule deer are also the most popular target for hunters, but they can also be surprisingly gentle. Heavy packs are for people who need to carry lots of stuff plus have plenty of gear to keep them busy. Simons has been following the deer on his free-range ranch since it was a 3.5-year-old, electing to pass on the buck multiple times. In the fall of 1996, Steve Stayner was cruising the rim rock looking for deer in Cococino County. While this buck means a lot of things to him and his ranch, it also represents a source of meat that he deeply appreciates. Simons said hes been conservative with his numbers, though, and thinks theres potential his deer will score even higher than what hes calculating. Congratulations on a great hunt. When Ed died in 1968 he left no will. But rarely do they hold on that long. In 1997, the siblings filed suit, wanting the head returned, but it had vanished. Even if you managed to claim the biggest whitetail buck ever killed, youd be out again next season, looking for his big brother. If youre curious, the saga is explained in detail in A Mule Deer Retrospective. Although these methods differ from one authority to the next, they allow direct comparisons. This time, that was a good strategy. Ive only seen mule deer when Ive had my dogs. Check outourstories, videos and hard-hitting how-to'sondeer hunting. Although a big buck here would be a very tall order, a fun hunt with limited pressure is what this hunt should offer up on a somewhat later season experience. 4. The shot would have to be placed high in the spine, so I pulled up my .32 Winchester Special to a firing position, waited for his head to rise so as to back up a high spine shot. Number 3Hunsaker Buck. It was taken all the way back in 1926 and there still hasnt been a buck to dethrone it. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. On a hot and dry early October day, Artie was about to call it a day and head to the truck when he heard some rustling just below him. respectively. And after plenty of cell phone pics and a few very masculine, best-friend man hugs, Ross and Levi headed back down the mountain with the buck on their ATV. Jason Houser is an avid traditional bowhunter from Central Illinois who killed his first deer when he was nine years old. My biggest mule deer ever. The second day had Austill back on the ridge tops where he could hear other hunters shouting to one another. Not only do they have the largest heads and the biggest antlers, but they have thick muscles, thick horns, and heavy antlers. March 3, 2023 |Timber 2 Table Wild Game Recipes, March 1, 2023 |Timber 2 Table Wild Game Recipes. How can you tell if the buck you killed today is bigger than the one your buddy shot yesterday? Dont Miss:How to Hunt the Sitka Blacktail. The average "big" Roman nose 4 was around 26-28 inches. He let him walk, but thought to himself that buck may be his last shot at filling the freezer that season. Arizonas Kaibab Plateau is 1,100 square miles of the arid Southwest between the Grand Canyon and the Utah border. The biggest antler Ive ever seen is about 4 feet tall and weighs over 1,000 pounds. It belonged to his grandfather, who killed the buck in the 1950s in the South Saskatchewan River area. This monster buck scores over 293-points and is 36 inches wide. Hunting with guide Derek Taylor from Mossback in 2017, hunter Ryan Peters was after a big buck that he could talk about for years to come. The current Oregon Stake record, this buck was taken in Umatilla County in 1925. Score: 330-1/8. He trained his .32 Winchester Special on the larger bucks spine and dropped him. Accordingly, some of the registries also recognize a nontypical category, that uses a different set of measuring criteria. It was displayed in bars, visitor centers, museumsand then finally scored and recorded in the Boone and Crockett record books where it's stood the test of time as the third-largest mule deer ever recorded. But having my best friend and fianc on the hunt with me, and having Dad back at camp Its for those reasons that Ill never have another hunt mean so much to me.. Lance Hill's South Carolina Stud. Naturally, the folks at Boone and Crockett wrote a prescription for some x-rays and the truth set the rack free. That was with a heavy pack. Barry Peterson- Colorado. David took the rack to a local bow shoot to show it around. When going after your own record whitetail deer, the question becomes, how do you objectively compare deer? On his way to meet the bucks, he nearly stepped on a doe that exploded from her bed. Thats truly legendary. The deer will be showcased at the Tines Up booth. It broke the 50-year record held by the #2 Spot! Check out these photos of rutting whitetails, and learn about the behavior of a trophy buck during the rut: Skis are easily the most efficient way to cover snowy ground on foot in winter. If you look at the numbers mule deer are on a serious and dangerous decline in Wyoming and need to be protected. With some putty and more than a few screws, someone with a screw loose themself created a nice hunting cabin conversation piece. You need to slip into his world, remaining quiet, comfortable and concealed. This deer was taken by Ed Broder in 1926 near Chip Lake, Alberta. Ive been following Steve and MeatEater for a long time, and Ive already turned the venison into some special dishes, Simons said. With ten boys to his name, Urban Riener was cruising the Snake River Breaks on a warm day back in 1979. These are from some of our early days.every buck in this story grosses over 2. Scroll down a bit and youll find Garcias name again.